Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More Colorado...

Greetings from Buena Vista, CO! This currently is my lunch break and I again have limited computer access, so will try to make the most of it...

Firstly, some dedications are in order. My ride out of Colorado Springs was devoted to my Aunt Susan. From letting me win the occasional basement hockey game to attending my undergraduate graduation, she has always been there to support me. Her generous, warm nature (and infectious laugh) makes her an absolute pleasure as a relative. I thank you for your donation and for being you. Speaking of yesterday's ride, it was a doozy. I served my final shift as sweep, meaning the manageable 74 mile ride became a 12 hour day on the road. Highlights include stopping at an arcade to hop in a 25 cent Batmobile ride, singing to and entertaining my partner Molly, and getting a haircut during our never-ending lunch break. Lowlights included moments of hail, climbing hills at a snail's pace, and the destination. Hartsel, CO was a tiny town without showers and with uranium enriched tap water. Tonight we are off to camp in Twin Lakes, CO before tackling Independence Pass up to Aspen. It should be a fun test (see here). The ride into CO is dedicated to my sister Loren. I will write more about her once I get to Aspen (when we have a day off on her birthday).

Before departing Colorado Springs, I had some more amazing experiences than previously recounted. I attended my first rodeo, watching everything from the traditional events (bull and bronco riding, calf roping) to the more peculiar ones (mutton bustin' where elementary aged children ride sheep and wild cow milking where teams chase down a wild cow to collect a bottle of its finest moo juice). Quite the scene. Exiting the venue, Sarah R. and I saw a mechanical bull apparatus. We immediately signed up and rode our hearts out. The surrounding people cheered my lengthy ride, yelling "Thata way cowboy" after my less than graceful dismount. Wondrous.

The next night, a van load of Bike and Builders ventured to gay bar Club Q to see their montly drag show. Needless to say, it was a ridiculous and fun adventure. I helped Claire fend off interested lesbians, chatted with Jessica about the impressive feats of pole dancing athleticism, and danced with the entire crew. I will not soon forget that evening.

Oh yeah, we did something during the day. Built a house. The build coordinators told us that after the contracted labor comes through, the home should be finished within the month, fully funded by our efforts. So exciting! When I have more time on this computer to load the numerous pictures I have of the construction, I believe you will share my pride in the accomplishment. Granted there was some initial disappointment over not handing the house over to a homeowner completely ready, but in light of conversations with some experienced Habitaters on our trip, I've mellowed. Anywho, pictures upcoming (estimated July 15).

I best continue my ride for the day. Wishing you all a happy July!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).