Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Goal Progress

From a prior post, let's review...

1. Establish a personal mission statement.
Well, I have a first draft (which I would love feedback on). Here it is...

Be yourself. Authenticity is bravery.

Don't wait for people to be friendly, show them how.

Engage in meaningful pursuits: attempt to find clarity, gain wisdom, do good, and/or elicit joy with your actions.

Develop and cultivate…

Kindness, for it can define our humanity.

Curiosity, for it expands humanity.

Love, for it makes humanity worthwhile.

Live with zest for the present and hope for the future. Be inspired.

Conquer negativity. The last of human freedoms is the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances (Frankl). Know there is nothing good or bad, only thinking makes it so (Shakespeare).

Appreciate your life. The circumstances of existence are pretty glorious (Kerouac).

Treasure above all else the happiness and health of the people in my life. This includes family, friends, future patients and me.

2. Become better aware of the affordable housing issue.
This one is a mixed bag. I am much more aware of the operations of Habitat for Humanity, notably in how chapters operate in different communities across the nation. I have a greater sense of what the lives of people seeking affordable housing are like. However, this trip has had less activism and affordable housing education than I expected. I may be one of the most experienced community servants in the group, so I have been somewhat disappointed by the peer education. We've had a few intriguing discussions, but I find myself with more questions than answers. Should housing be a government responsibility? What caliber of housing do all people need (aka what other answers do we have other than home ownership)? Do you give funds to larger, thriving non-profits (more efficient use) or smaller, struggling ones (more instrumental)? Maybe having more questions means I am more aware.

3. Train my hands, developing my mechanical mind.
Decent progress, but not fantastic. I feel completely comfortable changing tires/tubes, adjusting or replacing brakes, and lubing the gears for general upkeep. I am decent at truing my tires, though I don't often notice when they need truing. I hope to ask Jake more about derailers for future shifting problems. Most importantly, when I look at my bike, I still don't feel like I have full mastery over all the parts. I think the fact that I have good fortune to have limited repair needs has prevented me from learning by necessity. This is definitely an area to focus on for my last 17 days on Bike and Build.

4. Read.
Definitely did and am doing this. I've read multiple books (seven I believe), countless local newspapers, several magazines (The Economist and New Yorker are quite engaging), and whatever I can get my hands on. Favorites have been Dharma Bums, Kite Runner, and Montana 1948. I need to read Better, a perspective from a surgeon's operating room, for Penn, and my goal of 8 will be complete! Excitingly, I have rekindled my passion for reading, so hopefully I can trade my occasional watching of rerun cartoons with this intellectually stimulating pastime.

5. Foster and deepen friendships.
Living with 31 people for two months in close quarters means you have to get to know each other. I've had ample opportunity to learn the stories of my fellow riders, as often it's the only thing to do! While we are warm and collegiate as a large group, I know at trip's conclusion that the vast majority of the relationships will fade away. There are several individuals, however, I hope to stay in contact with. Bryant, the mellow man who loves burritos, frisbee, and classical music, Jake, the NYC loving yet wilderness seeking photographer, Taylor, kindhearted master of textiles and fellow Dairy Queen afficionado, and Adam, the Southern man of faith who help others and does hip hop dances, immediately come to mind. Dane, Molly, Steph and Ruben are quickly joining this crew. As for keeping up with Penn friends, I could do better, but considering my medical school switch, I know I will be able to rekindle many of those flames soon enough.

6. Understand America better.
Definite success. Talking with fellow riders and locals from all across the country, I've learned about lifestyles, norms, dreams, expectations, and opinions. I've seen firsthand how transit of people can build and destroy towns, as railroads invigorated and automobiles dilapidated towns across the South. Differences in rural and urban attitudes have become clear, more vast than any North-South or East-West divide. Some terrain preconceptions were corrected (Alabama is oddly hilly, Arkansas feels like the Adirondacks) and others confirmed (Oklahoma and Texas are hot and flat). I've stayed in tiny communities, college towns, and bustling cities. The best description of my education is that if you say Mississippi, I no longer only think about terrible education statistics. I think of 23 year old Dustin, Ole Miss' campus, tornado warning sirens, Baptist church dichotomies, and beautiful plantations.

7. Chronicle this journey.
I am satisfied here. Decent photo count and more blog posts than most of my fellow riders. This trip will live on in more than just my mind.

8. Finish the ride!

Well, sort of. I will make it to the coast, but not to Santa Cruz. The estimated 3,400 miles is nothing to scoff at though. Circumstances intervened and I am 100% happy with my decision.

Overall, pretty good. I must spend these last 17 days learning more about my bike, deepening connections with closest friends on the trip, and savoring the experience. Medical school is less than a month away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).