Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Bopping Around Boise

I am currently lounging on the patio of a coffee shop in downtown Boise, enjoying a faint breeze and tapping my feet to sounds of The Killers. Relaxed, tranquil, at peace...all fail to give this condition justice. How did I come to find myself here? Let's rewind...

Departing from Burley, I was introduced to miles of Idaho farms, a lusher version of the Southern plains of miles past. Yet when I was convinced that Idaho was flat, we arrive at our fantastic lunch spot: the Shoshone Falls. They are a definite treasure of the West. Finishing off the last of my vegan chili creation, I rode on solo to Gooding. Arriving hours ahead of the rest of the crew, I planned to explore the town and hit the library. My plans changed instantly when I met a modern version of the kids from The Sandlot. Their motley jumble of neighborhood friends encircled me, fascinated with the spandex'ed cyclist in purple high socks. Proud elder leader Brendan, quiet and confident Jeremy, eager to please TJ, the blond twins Bailey and Brandon, the tomboy Hayley, and energy loaded tiny Peanut will always exist in my memory. I soon learned they were traipsing all over town searching for their lost chihuahua. With the gang alongside, we spent the next hour hollering "Bella," informing local police and animal control, and asking locals for possible sightings. Fortunately, the canine adventurer was recovered and order was restored. I loved it. The rest of afternoon was spent bouncing on their trampoline and chasing down the ice cream truck. I think I am now a honorable member of the troupe. The evening's highlight was an engaging discussion land development policy and its impact on affordable housing. I love when I get to be a kid and adult in the same day.

The next morning I took off for Mountain Home, ID with Bryant. While the morning went fairly smoothly, riding the Oregon Trail admiring the winding Snake river and Idaho's surprisingly frequent canyons, it turned troublesome post lunch. We were greeted with stiff headwinds and barren stretches of uphill roads. Grinding out pedal stroke after pedal stroke, we found ourselves having only crawled feet forward. Several miles in, Bryant and I looked at each other exasperated. We hopped off our steeds, sat down and collected ourselves mentally. Making a pledge of destination ice cream, receiving an uplifting text from a friend, and firing up some music helped us power through to the conclusion. Once there, we puttered around town, finding a nifty thrift shop where I may have went a tad overboard. One impeccable purchase there was a pair of red, white and blue streamers, pimpin' the patriotic pride of my ride to new levels.

A short ride later, I found myself in the urban haven of Idaho: Boise. With an assortment of novel neighborhoods, a restaurant-laden downtown designed for walking, and an exceptional concentration of city greenery, I have quickly become fond of this city. The true treasure of my Boise experience is Laura Minskoff and her welcoming family. This hip, affable friend from Penn greeted me upon arrival, hosting me as if I were royalty. Along with her sassy yet sophisticated friend, we went to local treasures like Blue Cow and Goody's for treats (yes two different ice cream trips in a day) and saw the newest Harry Potter film. Her magnanimous mother took us all to dinner at an upscale restaurant Berryhill, where I savored succulent Pear Pizza and Angry Pasta. Driving through town, the ladies educated me to the historical, religious, political, and trivial knowledge of state capital. I spent the night at their luxurious home, sleeping in a bed better kept than any hotel. Reading this, you are thinking one thing...adjective overload. Clearly he must be exaggerating. No, dear reader. It was that great. To return a small portion of the favor, I used my early rising habits to whip up a batch of banana pancakes for my hosts. Beyond this, all I have is words. Thank you so much!

Speaking of appreciation, there are some dedications in order. My next two rides into Oregon are for my Penn friends who donated to my affordable housing adventure. Civic House superstars Nick Eng, Rebecca Zeitels and Ashley Templeton are my admired partners in creating a better planet. Alternate Spring Break leaders Fred Yoo, Andrew Weinhold, and Cara Bumgardner served the same cause, validating my efforts and encouraging me to do more. I am glad to know I am returning to an institution that boasted such impressive humans. Thank you for helping me help others.

I am coming upon the final days of my adventure. Tomorrow I ride into a my final state (Oregon) and the town of Ontario, then onto Juntura, and finally Burns. There I will be picked up by my mom and dear family friend Jeanne Enders. Now a Portland resident, she knew me from childhood as my parents' dear friend in Chicago. She is being unbelievably supportive on this trip with her online comments and helping execute my plan to drive up to east of Portland for my ride to the Pacific on August 2. For that reason, I dedicate my August 1 ride to her. Thank you for being you. Then Sunday it will be over. I will have done more than 3,000 miles, built a house, met countless Americans and seen my home country in an unbelievably fashion. Woah.

Back to the present...I've got the urge to stroll here in Boise, so I best be off. Lesson of the day: enjoy the occasional slow morning. Savor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).