Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Adventurism

Back on the road today, arriving in Silt, CO. It was a breeze of 63 miles, as we dropped 2500 feet in elevation and were able to cruise a beautiful bike path for 45 miles. I particularly loved the quaint yet prosperous towns we encountered on the journey. Basalt, Carbondale, then Glenwood Springs each boasted cozy cafes, spacious parks, and unique restaurants. In between, the scenery continued to enthrall. My photography skill cannot appropriately capture the serenity found riding through winding valley roads with towering mountains above. The red rock mountains speckled with evergreen forests made me think of Christmas...and it isn't even ski season! I could definitely see vacationing here sometime in my later life.

Appreciating the natural beauty led me to think of more of the donors that made this all possible. Today's ride and tomorrow's into Meeker, CO are for my Chicagoan heroes. Beth Fama, though an astute critic of some of Habitat's shortcomings, was generous enough to help me irregardless. Colleen Donovan, my peer role model at Penn, serves as the reassuring proof that you can do it all. David McDermott, who admitted regretting his donation because he needed me for summer league softball, represents the right type of people in politics: hard working, friendly, and a stellar shortstop. Ann Harvilla, a feisty lady known to bike even in the harsh Chicago winters, continues to show great kindness to my sisters and I. Thank you all so very much.

So about this post's title: adventurism. I chatted with a number of people in Aspen on the day off, yet never really to locals. You see, the entire village is filled with either transient young adults, seeking out mountain or river thrills, vacationing adults, looking to escape the pressures of high paying jobs, or retired couples, relaxing with exorbitant wealth. Chatting with Chris on the ride today, I finally realized why I found Aspen so unsettling: not a smack of purpose. Everyone seemed to be there to fulfill whimsical fantasies and leave responsibility aside. What is particularly interesting is that such adventurism lives within many of the riders in our group. Jake, seeing a troupe of motorcyclists going to Alaska, told me, "that is my next trip." Upon meeting a woman who had biked from Canada to Argentina, many of my fellow bikers voiced their hopes to do something similar. Not me. The Canada-Argentina journey had taken 2 years and cost $60,000. Maybe my attitudes may change, but I believe my commitments to family and community would supersede such aspirations. It would clash with parts of my personal mission statement. I am still debating on this one, but I guess the point is I was intrigued. I like this civic minded adventure, but don't live for adventure without the cause.

Ah, dinner time...Signing out, Kole.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).