Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Monday, June 1, 2009

South Carolina Ramblings

From a rustic campsite overrun with mayflies, we rode 56 hilly miles into South Carolina's capital city: Columbia. As I write within their public library, racing against my time limit, I will try and share a series of thoughts as fast as possible. Here goes...

Chatted with a man named Rodrick on the road yesterday...A record holding running back, he was the toast of his junior college up North. But after his mother and brother died in a double homicide, he moved to rural SC. Though saddened by his loss, what I will most remember is his career directions. When I told him I was from Chicago, he told me was planning to start a contracting business with Michael Jordan as the CEO. I friendly asked how he knew MJ, and he responded that he wrote His Airness a letter, so he is expecting an answer any day now. In all politeness, why is he so deluded? He was a healthy and humorous man in his mid twenties, an abled bodied American with a family tragedy. Why couldn't he rebound? Did he lack ample education? What type of support did he receive, family or friends or governmental, in his time of loss? Could we all fall so hard?

Now in Columbia, I cannot help but notice the stark contrasts found in this quaint city. Home to the University of South Carolina Gamecocks, certain districts boast shoppes like Loose Lucy's filled Bob Marley memorabilia and hipster cafes serving only vegan or organic items. The campus itself has a colonial feel, with beautiful rolling greens leading up to pillared, white roofed brick mansions and libraries. Yet roll a tad off the beaten track, and the change is inevitable. In a city with a poverty rate at 20%, the pockets of dilapidation have even spread to many seemingly central locations. Chatting with Olde and Booger, two 15-17 year olds roaming the streets, they complain about boring Sundays (almost EVERYTHING was closed in this conservative haven) and the uncool white college students (fortunately I was not in this category, I didn't call them 'brother' or down talk to them). I am instantly reminded of Hyde Park and West Philadelphia, where diversity and understanding are praised within the 'walls,' but blocks outside the same racial divide pervades. Not politically segregated maybe, but certainly socially. What's the answer here?

There are a ton of churches in the South. Wow.

I am eating more peanut butter than can be imagined. If you are considering sending me food on this route, please do not send anything even remotely related to legume based spread.

Though I can forsee the tiredness coming, his trip is fun! Cycling, Southern heat and all, can really be fascinating and invigorating. Having done spells solo as well as in clusters, I have developed a distinct preference for group riding. Conversations are surprisingly feasible, even in single file on fairly busy roads. I have been riding in the front pack of 3-5 people, blazing the trail with chalk and finding the sweet photo ops. (Speaking of which, more will come later)Plus, finishing early gives you time to savor the post trip bodily slowdown before jumping into chores and local exploration.

Final thought: Wendy's Frosties are fantastic after a day ride. This is a Fast Food Nation and I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).