Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Arkansas Recap

Jon Kole, reporting live from Fort Smith, the second largest city in Arkansas. Before we move on to Oklahoma, a discussion of the past days' events is in order...

With a full free day in Little Rock, I (as many of you would expect) sought to maximize every minute. I woke up early to do some fundraising and publicity emails for Bike and Build, then hopped a shuttle to the downtown district. First destination was the Clinton Library, a prize of modern architecture within its own local park. Bryant and I looked around the lobby and made the executive decision to move to the next location, the Arkansas Art Center. They had a wonderfully surprising collection, even boasting the likes of Van Gogh and Monet. We took some artsy photos (upcoming post) and goofed off with a camp group before heading to Sonic for a midday beverage. Off the bike, we realized how brutal Southern heat is. With 15-16 mph of wind in your face, the heat never really wipes you out. Walking the streets in a stagnant 93-93 F heat, however, leaves you a tad fa-chlemped. We toughed it out and huffed it several miles to see Central High, the site of the historic Little Rock 9 who first integrated the schools. They had a pleasant little museum very reminscient of the Chicago Freedom Museum, which was a treat. We strolled on to see the current and past State Capitol buildings, immersing ourselves into ongoing tours with James Bond stealth. The evening concluded with another minor league game, though the home Little Rock Travelers couldn't seal the victory. Hearing the wealth and breadth of my experiences, two or three other riders told me, "Next day off, I am sticking with you!" Catch me if you can.

Thursday was back on saddle, riding 67 miles to Russellville, AR. Not a particularly great riding day for me, as I have unfortunately been developing some soreness in the rear. However, visiting the local Arkansas Tech campus and purchasing one of their school shirts boosted my spirits. Why, pray tell? I believe they have the nation's best nickname: the Arkansas Tech Wonderboys. I now am the proud owner of a T-shirt reading: "Yes, We are the Wonderboys." Glorious.

Today's ride of 94 miles was quite the adventure. Eager to see more of the pride of Arkansas, several riders and I left the day's charted course and headed off to the Ozark National Forest. While futzing around the trails, we stumbled upon a great swimming spot. Again and again in this state, I find myself thinking of my childhood summers in the Adirondacks. The lush greenery, rolling hills, and hidden lakes...yet I am different. I swam and played for a bit, but soon thought of the philosophical book in my bag (Our Posthuman Future) and left diving off docks for reading under the sun. The 7 year old Jono would have been mortified. The rest of the day featured scenic roadways, spurts of conversation with my goodhearted companion Ben, and jamming to Disney songs in my head. It is surprising how effective Aladdin can be rejuvenating my legs, especially with appropriate riding dance moves. Okay, so maybe Jono lives on.

Tomorrow is a flat 95 miles into Henryetta, Oklahoma. Oklahoma. How on earth am I already in Oklahoma? I never biked longer than 50 miles before this trip, and now I am entering my sixth state on this tour. Mind is officially blown. Speaking of which, I will arise to bike in less than 5 hours, so rest is required. Good night to all and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).