Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Entering Little Rock

Diverse day of riding today...We started with some empty, rural plains, passing through town after town with posted populations below 250. I was cruising with the birthday girl Sarah, an independent minded social activist, making the miles fly by with conversations on education, power structures, and favorite vegetables (note to self, have to try kale). We stopped at the tiny Museum of Plantation Agriculture in Scott, AR (2 bucks if you can find it on a non-Internet map). After my first flat tire of the trip, we came upon Little Rock and had the pleasure of riding their 7-8 miles of river trail. I loved it! Getting lost in green parks within cities, immersed in nature yet still in civilization...I can't get enough of it. We then crossed the largest pedestrian/bicycling bridge in the US simply and aptly named "Big Dam Bridge."

This United Methodist Church gave us yet another amazing meal. I honestly am eating more food than I ever have, and for those of you that know me, that is truly saying something. Tray after tray of Southern BBQ, mounds of homemade potato salads, plates of assorted fruits and vegetables...every meal is a feast. Not to mention peanut butter now makes up about 27% of my bloodstream. Even though I will need it for more than 900 miles over the next 11 days, the volume still shocks me. I've also noticed that most members (myself included) of our gang have become quite lax on food consumption cleanliness. Crumbs in hair, honey on elbows, frosting on shins...sometimes it looks like we decided to swim in our food. Sexy, huh? It just speaks to the level of comfort we have reached with each other. No longer do people change shirts in bathroom stalls, instead openly discussing the anti-chaffing creams to rub in their nether regions. Too much information for you? Maybe. You will find the truth here on Road Reflections.

The stay in Arkansas, the natural state, is brought to you by my Great Aunt Kitty. At my birth, she bestowed a wonderful gift upon me: a scrapbook chronicling the complete genealogy of the Kole family. Ever since, her generosity has never faltered, giving so much throughout my childhood and up to this trip, including a care package of luscious brownies. I admire her independence, open-mindedness and good-natured sass. I thank you for everything and love you very much.

Now I am off to enjoy my free day in Little Rock, which may include a movie in their riverside park and a trip to the Clinton Library. Hoping to squeeze a little reading in too. Tough life huh?

1 comment:

  1. saw you were riding across Arkansas (my old home) on a Twitter post, wanted to say good luck out in the Western portions where I once roamed.

    Watch out for bad drivers and ignorant folk who hate on cyclists!

    -ab, austin, tx

    ReplyDelete

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).