Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day with Jake

First day on the road! Our bikes ceremonially dipped in the ocean, our troupe took to the trail and cruised 32 miles to Monck's Corner, SC. Arriving in the lead group at noon, I had a full day to explore the town. I coasted around the town, chatting with cheery, motherly Denise at the Visitor Center. She told us she moved there because "things moved a little bit slower and looked a little bit greener." In my roaming, I bumped into Jake, one of our trip leaders, who convinced me a frozen treat was in order. With his all knowing iPhone, we found Ye Old Fashioned Ice Cream and we nabbed frozen bananas. Sitting in full Bike and Build spandex, we discussed American economic history, racial implications in community service, and the current troubles in pursuit of the American dream. We then skirted out of town and found an quiet, overgrown cemetery. Jake, a professional photographer (to be amazed, see http://jakestangel.com), went to work. As my sister is an aspiring photographer, I loved picking his brain about his artistic vision. Several clicks later, we dove into the Tail's Race Canal in SC. Enthusiastically, I swam across the waterway and then back. The locals later told us this canal was infested with alligators. Either I am too fast (no) or quite lucky. In short, this day was amazing.

I will use this post to send out my first thank you. I have a gratitude calendar planned out, so certain days will be devoted to different donors. Today's ride is dedicated to Christin John, one of the legendary Foreign Legion. I admire so much about Christin: his independence, willingness to listen, and friendly, easy going nature. From middle school lunches to high school exploits and college adventures, his friendship has helped me become a better person. He has always been there for me and I hope to always be there for him. I love you CJ.

I don't have time to do photos now and since tomorrow's ride ends in a campsite, I will be unlikely to post in the near future. Stay tuned for the next update though!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).