Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good 'Ole Miss

I write now in Oxford, Mississippi from within the Ole Miss Student Union. They have an sprawling, yet elegant campus (all photos in the next post). Let's get you all caught up...

Two days ago, I arrived in Hamilton Alabama elated to discover our church host was located a stone's throw from a 3 theatre movie cinema. After our New Orleans native Chris made us some fantastic jambalaya, a fellow Pixar addict Taylor and I went to see UP while the rest of the crew slept. While the film was heartwarming and fun, the highlight of the experience was the venue itself. Raffle tickets served as the entrance stub, sizable popcorn and drinks put us back a mere $4, and there was no one else in the audience. Such freedom left us momentarily distraught over selecting seats, requiring multiple test rows and re-positionings.

The next morning we departed hilly Alabama and made our way to Tupelo, Mississippi. On the way, I chatted with a warm 23 year old named Dustin working at a local 'man' shop (hardware/automobile/BBQ combo). He told me how excited he was that he finished his GED and would be heading down the road to work at the semi weighing station, a job he hoped to work the rest of his life. He was on my mind for miles. I have a personal mantra of sorts: "You are in the 99% of opportunity of the planet, so share the wealth." When I think about how I won the situational lottery at birth (great family, all needs met), I usually compare to those suffering in poverty in third world nations. While Dustin is far from suffering, he is part of that 99%. He will likely never leave the 3-4 states surrounding him. My world is so much larger than his...which while filling me with gratitude, saddens me as well. Much can be written and said on this topic, but I will simply say this: remember how fortunate you are. And as my dear friend JBA's said: "Don't sweat the small stuff."

Tupelo had both the museum commemorating the birth of Elvis, a must-see, and my favorite ice cream adventure thus far. Jake and I pulled over at 'Dairy Kream,' a small hut teeming with 30-40 elementary school students. I will never forget this experience. Ordering our chocolate dip cones, we started to make small talk with some of the kids. Tayshaun, a tallish 9 year old with a gap toothed grin, soon dominated the conversation: Why'd you bike here? How fast can you go? Why are you wearing those tight pants? I looked down at Jake and my spandex. Having spent two and a half weeks wearing the same skintight outfit, I almost forgot they were irregular. We told him it was for speed, then attempting to redirect the conversation elsewhere. No such luck. "Look, look you can see their..." He giggled as he pointed to our groins. Jake and I couldn't help but laughing, sharing a look of bewilderment. Tayshaun was relentless, calling over anyone within earshot. Each with half a cone left, we were stuck, shifting awkwardly as we were teased by a prepubescent bully. We scarfed down the rest and quickly rode off, both admitting feeling quite embarrassed by the whole affair. Instant memory.

Rides have been shorter the last two day (57, 50), so I've been feeling great. Tomorrow I must ride sweep, the last safety net for our group. Going the slowest would normally have tested my patience, but I plan to go see an authentic Mississippi Sunday sermon and savor the ride. Full report upcoming!

While Alabama was devoted to my Grandma Betty, my days in Mississippi are dedicated to my Papa Seymour. Through games of tennis, chess, and poker over many summers in the Adirondacks, I grew very close to my affable grandfather. His willingness to perform/dance freely and with confidence, well, I think I got a little of those genes. I love him very much and thank him for not only donating to this cause, but being his fantastic self.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).