Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Path Not Chosen

Pedaling for poverty is a new thing for me. I've spent the past 3 summers in Chicago, exploring the wide array of city activities and spending time with my family. It's become wonderfully familiar. Arts fairs, music festivals, movies in the park...I've learned my favorite nooks and crannies of the Midwest's greatest metropolis. Then there are the hidden treasures only I know: Strolls through Hyde Park with Loren, museum trips with Eleanor, early morning chats with Mom, and documentary films with Dad. I am just realizing that while this bike trip will be an amazing experience, there is a trade-off. With all the fund-raising, training and gear collection, I almost forgot all the things to love in my Chicago. For those of you with free time this summer, remember to spend time at home. Wherever life's path takes you, it begins and ends with family.

It all starts so soon! If you would like to send me mail during my journey, please refer to the instructions on the "Mail Drop" feature on the right side of this page. Anything you send will help propel me to California! Keep in mind that averaging 70 miles a day cycling means I will burn about 3200 excess calories every day...Can you say baked goods?

Okay silly question: If you had to eat 3200 calories worth of one type of food in one day, what would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).