Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Graduation!

In 4 days, I take a plane to South Carolina, meet my 32 fellow riders, and begin my journey across the country. I have that lovely blend of excitement and nervousness that indicates you truly care about what is upcoming. 4139 miles. Woah.

In other news, I am now officially a Penn alumnus. Graduation was this past weekend, meaning my amazing family came to visit. The crew arrived Saturday to join in the carnival festivities of Grad/Alumni Weekend. Highlights included the spray on face paint Ps, the ridiculous Penn lollipops, and seemingly limitless amount of kettle corn.



Along with the core Koles, I was fortunate that my Grandma and Aunt Susan came. Susan, my fierce childhood rival in basement hockey, reminded me of my earliest joys, and Grandma, who frequently evoked the memory of her late husband and my grandfather John Kole, emphasized the enormity of my future potential.


After our dinner, I was surprised by a barrage of presents. Though I received many great gifts, one gift stands alone as the most wonderful one I've ever received. In one item, my parents had shown that they truly understood who I was and wanted to become. I opened the thin box to reveal a engraved stethoscope...with neon orange tubing. Instantly I was ten years older, confidently striding into a child's room, kneeling down to discuss the latest Nickelodeon cartoon, and listening to everything my patient had to show me. A silly motto popped to mind: I care with flair. May this item be only the beginning of my infusing of fun into healing.


Sunday went quickly...Morning brunch where I debated with Grandma on legalizing marijuana to create government revenues, noon visit to Reading Terminal Market for chocolate potato chips, afternoon viewing of Aladdin with my sisters instead of attending the Baccalaureate Ceremony, then finally the College graduation. I had the excellent fortune of choosing to march with the Biology Department, allowing me to sit next to Sean for the lengthy evening. John Legend stole the spotlight (even more than expected for a 6 time Grammy Award winner). His speech did exactly what was necessary for a graduation speech: leave the audience with one succinct point. Citing failures in history and the present, he urged us all to "seek truth." I will not soon forget his forceful words, even though he may have been listening to his iPod later in the ceremony. As Sean and I crossed the stage, we attempted to shake Legend's hand. Moments later, Dean DeTurck had bear hugged Sean and I was being glared at by the lady handing out diplomas. I settled for shouting "You know I want to shake your hand, you are amazing" before scurrying off stage. So close.

Monday's festivities were worthwhile, not so much for the speakers, but for the march down Locust. The Fun Dumpster strolled together, an amusing last hurrah of skipping and dancing for our silly gang. Fittingly, I sat next to Sean again...the one I would choose both in my major and of all Penn peers of 2009. Soon the proceedings were over and I was officially done with Penn.


Many goodbyes and 755 miles of driving later, I am home in Chicago. This will be one of many blog posts this summer, but I don't want the conversation to be one way. Therefore I will end my posts with a pertinent question, which I hope you answer with a response comment. Here is today's...What is the greatest gift you ever received? Why?

2 comments:

  1. An old raggety bike, for reasons elaborated on here: http://nicke5012.blogspot.com/2009/05/this-one-goes-to-olekingkole.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for re-capping; I'm so glad I was there for part of it!

    ReplyDelete

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).