Our Route!

Our Route!
Charleston, SC to Santa Cruz, CA: May 26 to August 14

Trip Tracker

For an detailed interactive map of our journey, click here.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Arrived in Charleston!

After an early morning United flight, I headed into Charleston and joined my fellow riders. Our first day consisted of ice breakers, random downtown strolls, and compliments on my neon green shoes. I must admit great relief: my fellow participants rock! There's Abby the professional opera singer, Jake the bicycling photographer, Claire the friendly architect, Laura the D-1 water polo star, Amelia the soccer playing cake fiend, J-Gibbs the musical swimmer...I won't be short on entertainment. Personal bike maintenance education came in the afternoon (yes summer goal!) before sitting for a lovely dinner donated by Subway. In the church dining room, I met the family we will be building for, diving into deep discussion with their 5th grade son Trey about how to elevate his basketball skills. He had a sick crossover, but lacked the step back jump shot. We talked through some drills for the summer, so defenses beware!

A sandwich later, we learned a bit about their family story and the Charleston Habitat affiliate. The Habitat houses here are sold at about $50,000 (market value $125,000) thanks to donated labor (us) and no markup. With the no-interest loan, the four Lemons can make their dream home a reality. Arnett Lemon, a hospital worker who has already given nearly 400 hours of her sweat equity, thanked us graciously for our support. Meeting such a deserving family, wanting merely the security and comfort of a small home...I am glad this will be my summer.

All photos from Charleston will come Thursday or Friday after our build, as I don't have the time to upload now. Got to go foster friendships! Question of the day...when should I put the neon yellow handlebar tape on my bike? Early in the trip or later on to mix it up?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to help out? Donate!

A huge part of this trip is raising funds! All proceeds of the trip will be used to fund student driven affordable housing projects across the nation. Here is where you come in: PLEASE support me and Bike & Build by making a tax-deductible contribution. To those of you that did donate, I thank you sincerely.

You could give a penny for every mile I ride this summer ($40). Considering the magnitude of the goal and the importance of our cause, anything you can give will be greatly appreciated. Help me help others!

If you do choose to give, all you have to do is go to http://www.bikeandbuild.org/donate.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call (773-633-3499) or email (kole.jon@gmail.com).